Jazz Band Director – Mr. Patrick Gleason
The South River Jazz Ensemble is an extra-curricular activity designed to broaden the technical abilities of instrumental music students, as well as providing them with experience in the jazz idiom. The Jazz Ensemble performs at both the winter and spring concerts, provides musical support for other cultural arts programs, and participates in county sponsored jazz festivals and clinics.
Due to the growing popularity and interest in this ensemble, membership in this band is by audition. While students do not need to be enrolled in an instrumental class to participate, it is HIGHLY recommended and encouraged so that students may participate in County and State-sponsored Jazz Education events like All State Jazz Band, All County Jazz & Nouveau Ensembles, and Solo and Ensemble Festivals. STEM students are welcome and highly encouraged to take advantage of the after school jazz program.
The Jazz Ensemble concert attire is as follows:
Female Students– cocktail dress (below the knees) or dress pants and nice blouse
Male Students– dress pants, dress shirt (question of tie to be reviewed)
Rehearsals are on Tuesday afternoons, 5pm – 6:30pm.
In order to maintain a current library of jazz music, all jazz ensemble students will be assessed an activity fee. Students who participate in multiple performing groups are only required to pay one activity fee per semester.
- $75 – Fall activity fee due Oct. 1st (for students NOT in band or orchestra)
- $25 – Fall activity fee due Oct. 1st (for students ALREADY in band or orchestra)
- $75 – Spring activity fee due Feb. 15th (for students NOT in band or orchestra)
- $25 – Spring activity fee due Feb. 15th (for students ALREADY in band or orchestra)
When submitting a payment, please follow these instructions to ensure that all monies are credited properly:
- Write your child’s first and last name on the memo line of the check along with the purpose of the payment (i.e. Fall Fee, Spring Trip, meal, etc)
- Place all checks inside an envelope labeled with your child’s full name and purpose of the payment.
- If you need to split a payment into installments, indicate that information on the check as well (i.e. payment 1 of 2, payment 2 of 3, etc.)
- If you wish to combine fees into one check, indicate that information on the check as well (i.e. band camp fee, fall fee, spring fee, etc)
All envelopes should be placed in the black mailbox in the Music Department or handed in to the boosters who will be at Band Camp.
For questions regarding the Jazz Ensemble, please contact Mr. Patrick Gleason at 410-956-5600 or by email at email@example.com.