Department Chairperson/Instrumental Music Director – Mr. Gerald Cavanaugh
Concert Band Advisor – Mr. Rick Stewart
Percussion Instructor – Mr. Drew Harrah
Band class fulfills the current course requirement for fine arts. This class is performance based, requiring participation in all school, county and state band activities as determined by the director. After school rehearsals are required in preparation for these adjudicated events. Additionally, band class performs at both the winter and spring concerts.
Auditions are open to all students. STEM students are welcome and highly encouraged to take advantage of the after school Music Activity Period and receive their Fine Arts Credit (for STEM students only).
View our Welcome to South River Music Boosters slides to gain a high level understanding of what the Music Boosters are and what they do.
Students in the Concert Band Performance Group will be fitted for concert attire that is purchased through the activity fees.
The women’s concert attire is a black, full length dress, black hose and black dress shoes. The black dress will be provided. Students are responsible for altering the length of the dress. DO NOT have the bottom of the dress cut during the alteration so that it can be let out for the next student who needs to use it.
The hose and shoes must be purchased at local stores.
The men’s concert attire is a black vest, a long sleeved white tuxedo shirt, black tuxedo pants, black socks and black dress shoes. The black vest and the bowtie will be provided. The tuxedo shirt, pants, socks and shoes must be purchased at local stores. The black socks must be crew length or higher (no ankle socks!).
There are no fees for the 2020-2021 school year.
Band students are assessed fees to offset the expenses associated with managing the band program including music, field show development, instrument repair, transportation and much more.
* A 50% discount will apply to all additional performance groups of equal or lesser value than the highest value performance group. For example, if a student participates in Marching Band, Concert Band, and Jazz, the following adjustments are made:
For questions regarding the payment schedule, please reach out to the Music Boosters Treasurer for assistance.
- $60 per year – Instrumental loaner fee
When submitting a payment, please follow these instructions to ensure that payments are credited properly:
- Write your child’s first and last name on the memo line of the check along with the purpose of the payment (i.e. Fall Fee, Spring Trip, meal, etc)
- Place all checks inside an envelope labeled with your child’s full name and purpose of the payment.
- If you wish to combine fees into one check, indicate that information on the check as well (i.e. band camp fee, fall fee, spring fee, etc)
All envelopes should be placed in the black mailbox outside the Music Department office or mailed to:
South River High School
Attn: Music Boosters
201 Central Ave East
Edgewater, MD 21037
If you need to split payments, please reach out to the Music Booster Financial Secretary for assistance.
Congratulations to this year’s South River High School Concert Band leaders.
For questions regarding the Concert Band Performance Group, please contact Mr. Cavanaugh at 410-956-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.