South River High School
Music Program Overview
Chorus Class (Concert Choir)
A Cappella Vocal Ensemble (SATB)
This year is already shaping up to be an exciting one for the South River Choral Program, and I am once again pleased and proud to be a part of it. The 2015-2016 academic year will be my 18th year at South River and I continue to be thrilled and impressed with the talented students within our school community. If your student has a background in choral music, or just has an interest and love for singing, we invite them to join our quality choral program.
Chorus class fulfills the current course requirement for fine arts. It is meant to be a continuous course of study culminating in Honors Chorus at the senior level. Students in chorus class learn basic skills in proper singing technique, note reading, and sound production. Students also perform a variety of music, with an emphasis on multi-cultural and world music. All chorus classes are performance based, requiring participation in all school, county and state choral activities as determined by the director. After school rehearsals are required in preparation for these adjudicated events. Additionally, chorus class performs in both the winter and spring choral concerts.
A Cappella Vocal Ensemble (New this year!)
- This group of 15 - 20 men and women is our select extracurricular ensemble and performs in all concerts, trips and other events.
- Members will be chosen by audition.
- The group rehearses three days a week (Tuesdays during NEST hour, Tuesdays from 2:15pm-3:30pm, and Thursdays from 2:15-3:30pm).
- Students in this ensemble must purchase selected concert attire ($TBD) which we will measure for and order in the Fall.
- The Trouble Clefs is our senior women's quartet.
- Membership is by director selection.
- Trouble Clefs rehearsals will be on Mondays and as determined by the director and the student members
- The Trouble Clefs regularly perform for community and school functions as well as for commercially sponsored engagements
Activity Fees: $15 per semeser - Chorus class students
$75 annual - A Cappella students*
* Students in the A Cappella group are exempt from the class room fee.
Auditions and membership in all special ensembles are open to all students. Students do not need to be registered in a chorus class in order to participate in these groups. STEM students are welcome and highly encouraged to take advantage of these after school choral programs.
Rehearsals for the 2015 - 2016 academic year are as follows:
Mondays - Trouble Clefs, 2:15 - 3:30
Tuesdays – A Cappella, NEST hour
Tuesdays – A Cappella, 2:15 - 3:30
Wednesdays – Open rehearsal, 2:15-3:30
Thursdays – A Cappella, 2:15-3:30
Friday – Open rehearsal, 2:15-3:00
Special Programs and Activities
We are in the process of planning several special events for the academic year. Details will be forthcoming.
Special Opportunities and RecognitionIn addition to our scholarship students in the Annapolis and Chesapeake Chorales, outstanding and talented singers are recommended for membership in our Tri-M Music Honor Society chapter. This group is made up of the best student musicians in our department. Student members give recitals and provide musical support for other school activities in and around our community. They are South River's Musical Ambassadors.
For questions regarding the Chorus Program, please contact Mr. Blair at 410-956-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
A final note from Mr. Blair:
It is my fervent hope that we will have the opportunity to work together, making music and
continuing the tradition of innovative, quality singing that South River choruses have come to be known for.
Please consider joining us for what will surely be a landmark year!